Sunday, January 31, 2010

Captain Compassion and Legless Lovey



Guest Blogger: Captain Compassion.

Last week while paddling around on my Stand-up-Paddle-Board in the Moruya River, I saw a disabled man in a Walker Bay Dinghy. He was very low in the dinghy with his head and shoulders appearing just above the transom. It seemed obvious to me that he had no legs. This image was made even more convincing because also in the dinghy was a woman with a fluffy hairdo, who appeared of normal height and was shouting commands at the poor legless man.

At home I spoke with my lovely wife, a nurse, about the physical help required for the disabled man to enjoy the simple pleasures of getting around on the water. It also made me think how lucky we both were to have our health and legs.

A few days later while paddling around the river, I noticed a South Coast 36 yacht anchored across from my real sailing vessel "Dare to Dream". As a fellow yachtie I decided to go over and introduce myself. Glenn was sitting in the cockpit, chatting away to me when the wind suddenly changed direction. To my surprise a Walker Bay dinghy drifted around the starboard side of his boat. Almost at the same time a fluffy haired Jen appeared on deck. I tried not to look into the depths of the cockpit, to see if Glenn had any legs. Curiosity eventually won the day, and to my surprise and relief he was sporting two well turned legs and ten pink wiggly toes.

We invited Jen & Glenn over for drinks on Friday night, and I then proceeded to get Glenn really legless. But that's another story.

If you would like to help disabled persons enjoy sailing please go to the following link:

Fair Winds
Captain Compassion.


Pics: A 'real sailing vessel' "Dare to Dream" at Wollongong Harbour, and a squat Glenn in the Walker Bay dinghy.

No comments:

Post a Comment