Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Projects and mould.









I've been feeling that since we set sail a month ago I would have liked just a few more days to prepare Crazy, to make her more of a "home". I know that most people never really feel that their boats are ready for a trip, and it does require some wisdom to know the point at which the boat is sea worthy, comfortable and capable of cruising. Boats always need improvements and updates with ongoing maintainance as much a part of life and routine as washing dishes etc.

We are back in Batemans Bay marina now, on a small break before trying to sail south once again. I'm thrilled because we have ELECTRICITY and that means that I can finally attend to the sewing projects that have been on my mind. Some of you (my sisters) will not be at all surprised to know that I have several rolls of fabric onboard as well as a walking-foot sewing machine. This machine lives in a special area under the navigation table. I created the perfect sized locker with the help of a jigsaw, and am very proud of the results.

I wish I was a carpenter so that I could do clever wood projects: such as a timber floor, or extra shelving inserts, but I'm hoping that with a few screws and canvas I can create specific storage spaces for all of the homeless odd shaped items. Everything has to have a specific spot to live, otherwise the boat swallows up all of the small stuff into the bases of the lazarettes, only to resurface when the boat is for sale.

I have a few cane baskets that act as attractive hold-alls in the galley, but I'm fully expecting that as the sea salt continues to saturate the air they will grow mould. Actually mould is a continual issue for sailors. Opening up the boat is the first thing we do once we've stopped. Crazy was very neglected when we purchased her, and was a mould filled stinking bucket. Sugar soap for the ceilings and huge quantities of vinegar with lemon oil and elbow grease for all timber areas made for a good few months of asthma. I still spray vinegar and orange oil regularly which also gives the interior a nice warm glow. I turn over the mattresses daily, and have invented a mesh layer of shade cloth ruffled in opposing directions to aerate under the foam.

The exterior deck and hull also need constant attention. Salt water attracts moisture and Crazy loves throwing up spray. Then everything feels sort of slimy. Really dedicated sailors: those who are "house proud", splash around in the rain scrubbing things during downpours. I'll let you know if that obsession overtakes Glenn.

I'm just finishing this blog some days after I started: the computer previously ate two lengthy attempts.

Started writing this in Batemans Bay, but we are now in Moruya.

Bye for now
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment