Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Spirit Silver Edition, Cruisability and Ginny Gerlach all in Launceston.



My life before cruising was driving. I had to drive all around NSW conducting training seminars, averaging between 55,000 to 60,000 klms each year. So on Saturday morning while walking down St Helen's main street, I said to Jen. "I'm so glad we don't have a car, I'm enjoying not having to drive."

Jen went to the supermarket, while I grabbed a local paper and went for a coffee. Suddenly my attention was drawn to an article on the Wooden Boat Rally happening in Launceston that very weekend. I knew that Jen would love to go to the "rally"and at the same time catch up with Ginny Gerlach, our sailing instructor from Cruisability, who would be flying down from Yeppoon, to pick up her new yacht "Spirit Silver Edition"(do you know Yeppoon is? "next to your fork.")

So what do you know? The next thing here I am driving a crappy Mitsubishi hire car, along 200 klms of crap road, Tasmanian style. ie: winding, hilly, potholed and cluttered with Grey Nomads snailing their way to Launceston. I hate driving!!!!!

The timber boat rally was great.(we will do another post on that soon)

It has taken me awhile to get to the point of this blog. Cruisability? When I was trying to encourage Jen to partake in this adventure, a country girl at heart (see previous blog) Jen knew nothing about sailing, whereas I knew you needed wind. We researched, and found a couple's sailing course with Cruisability.


Go to training and check-out the hot models.

Ginny was able to teach us to communicate, and to sail together as a team. I didn't realize how important this was at the time, but the Bass Strait crossing proved to it to be an invaluable tool.

Ginny flew down from Queensland to pick up her new boat. "Spirit Silver Edition". Spirit is a very famous yacht in Tassie, its previous owner Ken Gourlay was the oldest person to circumnavigate, unassisted in record time of 180 days, breaking the previous record by 5 hours.

To read his story and that of the boat go to:


Jen and I felt in awe of Spirit, as Ginny excitedly showed us over her, and pointed out the design features that made this yacht so exceptional. We hoped that as we slept on "Spirit" the vibe of the boat would infiltrate our souls. (trying to beat Jen with that one)

Safe trip home Ginny.

Thank you to all the messages, emails and phone calls wanting Jen to write a book, BUT based on one "arty farty" post, to all of you I say phooeeeyyy. I have my supporters too.

Glenn

Pics: Spirit Silver Edition crosses the finish line. Ginny and Jen somewhere on Spirit.





1 comment:

  1. Hi guys
    OMG!!! I can't believe your doing this Jennifer it sounds so exciting. You are so brave and I'll follow your blog to see where you are and the adventures you will be having.
    What are your plans? Just to sail off into the big blue and see where the winds take you or is there an order to your destinations as your skills grow?
    Keep me posted you can go onto my blog which is as boring as shit compared to yours. My blog is based on my needs to make endless lists to structure my days around running my new shop & wholesaling and family life.
    Just returned from Vietnam with new designs and products which 70% of sold within the forest 4 days of trade when I got back. So I am planning another quick trip in Aprilso I had better go and start another list.
    Happy sailing !!

    ReplyDelete