Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Getting to know Glenn, still a mad surfer

What a tiring few days it's been.
Glenn is so keen and enthusiastic about this sailing adventure. His three surfboards are lashed onto the lifelines. (Thankfully a fourth was sent home with a neighbour). I am the crew responsible for the mooring (driving) of Crazy and have trouble seeing over the dodger down to the bow at any time. Now my view is obscured by the board cases. I sort of park by Braille with the help of vague and at times dramatic hand signals. Fortunately I can't actually hear anything Glenn is saying.
I'm not sure if any of you realize that surfing and finding a really good wave is the basic motivation behind our trip. We see this as a shakedown cruise to sort out any problems in our systems. I am often just tired by Glenn's relentless optimism that the wind is right for a sail. The sails are set and then we sit back and watch them flap and slop about. He is never really discouraged by the fragility of the weather, and is great fun to travel with.
I'll try to contribute more often to this blog, at the moment I mainly act as an editor.
A big hello to our newest blog followers, "Uncle Simon and Lynda my sister, Miles and Izzie" in England. Thanks for following; also to the Tabourie crowd of friends, especially Little Sue who I really didn't get to say goodbye to, (the ginger extract is a big help) and my amazing work buddies. Could someone send my love to Molly?
Thanks
Love
Jen

3 comments:

  1. And a big hello from a very snowy,icy,foggy,slushy,muddy, wet England.We look forward to following your adventures(are you ever likely to have a boring dull day?), and I'm very proud of my brave littler sister!

    Lynda,Simon Izzy and Miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Glenn,
    Just caught up with your posts. I lived, worked and surfed in PNG in the 80's and had a great time. I''m currently living aboard my 46'sailing cat on Lake Macquarie. It would be good to catch up with you for a chat and some looking over of charts to show you some surf spots that I know of. We plan to be around Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens over the next few months before venturing north ourselves. My email is wokkkka@hotmail.com. Merry Christmas Warwick Stiebel. Hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Auntie Jen!
    Lots of love Izzy Miles and Billy
    (loved the shout out in your blog :) )
    xx

    ReplyDelete