Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sailing into 2010!




Time flies when your having fun, here we are into the 3rd day of the new year! Whats happened since Pittwater? well New Years Eve was a hoot! We were anchored up in Smiths Creek, up near Cottage Point. Bruce and Sue once again played host to a tasty dinner. Also joining us were, Lynn and Andrew from Mischief and Andrews wonderful sister & brother Patrina(hope Ive spelt that right?)from London, and Nigel (aka Simon) from Brisbane. After dinner we rowed to Rob & Katrina's new boat with a crowd of other folk from the CCC, this resulted in more guitar playing and singing, sorry I was soooo drunk and nearly dieing from dehydration and heat exhaustion, Rob I really would have liked to continue playing but. Hope to catch up with you all in a couple of months, when we sail north from Tassie.

New years day was right off for me, my plan was to leave Smith Creeks at about 8am and sail to Cronulla, but see above. We ended up leaving at 11.30am and by the time we motored out to Barrenjoey, I needed another lie down. We grabbed a mooring and I slept all afternoon. (no more bloody drink for this boy)

Fast forward to the 2nd, we left bright and early for the planned sail to Cronulla. Flukey winds and not wanting to to start the motor, left us floundering off Sydney Heads when the sky went black, and I mean black!!! We were hit with a massive downpour that was soooo heavy you could only see about 50 mtrs in front of you. If it wasn't for the compass and the chart plotter, I would not have known where I was.
Jen says it was one of the weirdest experience's she has ever had, its really hard to explain what it was like. The attached pic does not do it justice. We ended going into the harbour and anchoring in Rose Bay. We decided that the harbour view was to our liking and have decided to stay a few days before continuing south.(now thats a great thing about this cruising stuff)

We are now berthed at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (from here on in known as CYCA)for 2 days. I decided I needed a shower or my clothes were leaving me in protest over the smell, getting laundry done, going shopping and taking my faulty laptop power supply back to Jaycar. I got lost on arrival and went down the wrong finger at the marina, and I had to bid a hasty retreat.
Now reversing a full keeled yacht is no easy feat, because there is very little control. Adding to the pressure of performance anxiety, were the bevvy of well heeled spectators.(crew of Ichi Ban nursing a broken mast and Play Station 3)As usual they all seemed to appear on deck just as I realized I had to turn around. Now tell me you don't believe in miracles, but Crazy Lady sensing my fear and the impending doom, spun around in a boat length, leaving both me and the CYCA members, including all the marina's armchair admirals gob smacked. I waved to them all as I casually motored to the correct pen, with a renewed confidence. Now Crazy Lady sits proud amongst all the multi million dollar yachts.

Pics: Couple of Crazy Lady at CYCA and downpour.

Heading South Tuesday!

Glenn

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i Jen and Glenn,

    Well, talk about "The life of Riley". Just how much fun can you two take. Yes, yes, we know, there is a lot of hard work in between!

    Have to say it is very "spooky" without any "noises" filtering from next door. We miss you.

    You don't realise just how much until you are no longer around. Mind you, having just finished reading all about your adventures, know where we would prefer to be.

    Everything fine here, no major dramas, as yet... Well, we did have a very noisy New Year's party and everyone commented how roomy and nice your place is, didn't think you would mind. You should have been there! [Just joshing]

    We have just come back from Sydney ourselves and looking forward to spending lots of time at home.

    Guess there is no use saying "Have a great 2010". How could you not, having started in such a fantastic way. Soooooo, happy sailing - will continue to read your blog with much envy.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi D & D,

    we will be back in Ulladulla in a week or so, hopefully we can catch up then. Jen has stuff she wants to drop off at home before we head to tassie. Next time please totally trash the house, so we can collect insurance.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi you two, what a wonderful adventure your having. I'm completely jealous. The Crazy Lady is georgous. The pictures don't do her justice. Mind you having known Jen all her life Im not the slightest The big black storm was unbelievable but quite fastinating from my house (i have a great view of the sea and wollongong) bet it was quite different sailing thru it. Very Stephen King. Anyway did you find your other left and manage to sail south? I feel very proud to have mastered the tyre and clambered onboard the Crazy Lady for just one moment my only regret being no photo as evidence mind you climbing that tyre would not have made a pretty photo! Anyway love to you both i too shall be reading your blog with much envy! Oh yeah let me know when you sail past my kitchen window. Annette xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen & Glenn, we left Mischief on Sunday and started back at work Monday. Reading your blogs isn't helping me settle back into work but they're so fabulous I just have to read them. I didn't realise you two were such great writers! Thanks again to you both for making our time at America & Smiths so much fun. Wish we were out there with you. Take care, Lynne

    ReplyDelete