Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jen VARNISHES while Glenn VANISHES

Finished job on drawers

Jen's very clever plumbing

Saloon doors sanded

Guardian of the head (toilet for landlubbers)

Steps re-finished and shiny wall


Yes, there has been a gap in the blogging. Sorry, but it's Glenn's fault.
I only had to mention internal VARNISHING and REFURBISHMENT in one breath and turned around to seek his opinion on this, to find that Glenn had taken the first available flight out of Hobart!!

So finding myself alone, and without blogging abilities I made a plan for a frantic 10 day renovation makeover. Before I could make my first purchase of essential supplies from Hobart's most expensive chandlery, the kitchen (galley) water tap system started spouting a fountain of water out everywhere.
I bet you didn't know that I had plumbing skills.
Of the four pipes to be reconnected three had varying diameters of connections in old style measurements, and two of permanent copper pipes were without threads.
See photo of neat end results.

Overkill could be the expression to use to describe my varnishing activities. Generally a few broad walls (bulkheads) were in good condition but looking a little tired. These responded well to a secret recipe given to me by my sailing mentor: Ken Miller. (refreshments supplied by Lynn). Water ingress had over the years caused dark staining to lovely teak fittings. This troubled absolutely no one but me.
I hate dark interiors and the "log cabin" style, and had struggled not to paint the interior gloss white...dark corners only.
So what's the big deal?

Doing anything to the interior of a boat requires a lot of tiresome shuffling: stock piling cushions and books and carefully stowed gear into all other available empty spaces only to do the same roundabout of moving the next day as some progress is made. Each area had at least two applications of "rejuvenation" and I found that I quickly tired of it all. Unfortunately once I had started to improve one area everything else looked shabby. (the curse of the home renovator).

Anyway the gangway steps made by "Winnie the wonder" of Tabourie now look pretty special, and the aft cabin is a lot fresher and brighter. The saloon now glows golden in the afternoon light and not a trace of stale smells exists.
I didn't complete the entire job but made a dent into the worst areas.
See photos

Bye for now
Love to all
Jen Jen the busy Hen


3 comments:

  1. Very entertaining - I've told the boys they should read it.
    And now for your next project: http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/rugs-carpets/nautical-knotted-rope-rug-perfect-as-a-bath-mat-111048
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE SO MULTI SKILLED JEN. MAYBE A JOB AS A HANDYMAN AT SARAH IN BETWEEN YOUR TRAVELS.MOLLY SENDS HER LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JEN I HAVE TRIED NUMEROUS TIMES TO SEND YOU A MESSAGE WITHOUT SUCCESS. FOR SOME REASON TODAY IT WORKED. I HAVE LOVED READING YOUR BLOGS,THE PHOTOS ARE GREAT.CHEERS RUTH

    ReplyDelete