Thursday, March 11, 2010

Who the "Bloody hell is Lara Bingle" and why should I care.

Crazy Lady in the city Hobart

Sea Sheperd opposite us in Hobart.

My new wetsuit for surfing Tasmanian waters
Funded under the federal governments insulation program

My new theme: "Adventure before Dementia"

Bloody Lara Bingle, really who cares? Another 2 bob flash in the pan, media wanna be. Does anyone really care?

Now why my rant? After escaping the great "Varnishing Boot Camp" and leaving on the next flight to Sydney, I was immediately flung back into the TV, media, instant headline crap, and inconsequential trivia, how can they justify Lara giving the finger as the main headline on the 6 o'clock news. Being on a boat for 3 months without watching TV, made me realize that I've not missed much, in the "real world". Do yourself a favour and throw your TV in the garbage or sell it at your next garage sale.

Back in boat world, now Jen's description of me escaping the varnishing, was not quite true. I had made work commitments last year and had to fulfill them, but I was quite happy to miss all the chaos created on the boat. After 10 days away from both Crazy Ladies, I have decided, that I will give the return to Sydney to work thing a big miss. Now don't get me wrong I love training people, but leaving the trip was a hard thing to do. Having said that, it was great to catch up on family and friends, James (my son) http://jameslovecomposer.blogspot.com/ came down and stayed with me for a few days. Thanks to those who showed their hospitality and had us over for food and drinks. Al and Kaye, Gerti and Dave, yes we can can eat and drink us Love's. I hope you have restocked your larder for our next visit!!!

Jen and I had a great walk around Hobart yesterday, in my humble opinion it is one of the great cities. Try a walk to Sandy Bay thru Battery Point, the houses are unbelievable, I don't mean big or modern. Most of them were built in the 1800's. Of course Jen wanted to buy every second one.

Now once again I must tell you of the friendly Tasmanian spirit. This morning I was looking for a place to buy diesel, I asked the skipper of a abalone boat where? He told me the nearest servo was about 4 klms away, and insisted that I get my fuel cans throw them in the back of his ute, he drove me up and back, then asked me on-board to show me charts of Bathurst Harbour and explained the best route's etc: Speaking of Bathurst Harbour, Al gave me a book when I was home in Tabourie, about Deny King. The skipper of the abalone boat knew all about him Al!! He is a Tasmanian legend.

The Sea Shepard "Steve Irwin"(bloody Steve Irwin" couldn't they come up with a better name? all he used to do was annoy the crap out of wildlife) is moored just across from us, I thought that Jen might have signed up with them and gone off to fight the Japanese whalers.(yes she had for a moment considered it)

We are leaving Hobart tomorrow, after the Salamanca Markets Jen wants to stock up with fresh fruit, vegetables and jams. I want to have a German sausage on a roll. We will be heading further south to explore Bruny Island (cleanest air in the world) and further afield. Bruny Island has some of the best surf in Tasmania, and I won't be leaving it until I've sampled some.

Ok, thats all I can think of at the moment.

Glenn



No comments:

Post a Comment